Celebrities Play Ball
More than 500 people attended the 22nd Annual Hang-the-Net Celebrity Shootout and Slam Dunk Contest at the Hanes Hosiery Recreation Center on July 19.
In addition to the high-flying b-ball action, the event included a number of highlights, including a performance by the Parkland High School Cheerleaders. Greg “Catman” Good, the Carolina Panther’s super –fan, gave out bobble heads and signed and posed for pictures with the kids in attendance. Hanes Hosiery Director and Hang-the-Net Creator Art Blevins gave out Living Legend Awards to former Wake Forest All-American Randolph Childress; Triad Sports Publisher Sam Davis and John Dell, a sports reporter at the Winston-Salem Journal.
The event was made possible with the support of sponsors Papa John’s, Omega Sports, PowerAde, Pepsi-Cola, Burke St. Comics, Burger King, Chick-fil-A, Jamie Wilkes Trophies, Page’s Sports and Weston & Associates.
The winners were:
- 1st place – Danny Harden – Fox 8
- 2nd place – John Dell, Winston-Salem Journal and living legend
- 3rd place – Austin Caviness – WXII 12
- 4th place – Randolph Childress – WFU All American
- 5th place – “Catman” Good – Carolina Panthers super fan
- 6th place – Keith Grandberry – Urban League President
- 1st place – Brian Leak
- 2nd place – “Pop Bottle” Thomas
- 3rd place – Willie Griffin
- 4th Place – Julius Reece
- 1st place – Lamar Marshal – Mt. Tabor head football coach
- 2nd place – Aaron Bailey – Carver athletic director
- 3rd place – Teyshawn Brown – Mt Tabor assistant football coach
- 1st place – Terrence Petree – UNC
- 2nd place – Reyshawn Terry –UNC/professional basketball
- 3rd place –Brandon Hobbs – WSSU
- 1st place – Brandon Hobbs – WSSU
- 2nd place – Charis Fitzgerald – Florida prep star
9-13 year olds Hang the Net
- 1st place – Shane Osbey
- 2nd place – Michael Samuels
- 3rd place – Aquindae King
- 4th place – Gianni Smith
14-18 year old Hang the Net
- 1st place – Gary Lash, Jr.
- 2nd place – Dwight Sellars
- 3rd place – Nick Gainy