Free breakfast/lunch program starts June 17
Chartwells School Dining Services, the company that serves breakfast and lunch to more than 2.3 million school children each day, and Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools will again offer free breakfast and lunch to students in the community during the summer months.
As part of the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program, WS/FCS and Chartwells will offer free breakfast and lunch to all students, 18 years of age and under, from June 17 through August 9. Breakfast will be served from 8:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., and lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Breakfast and lunch will be served Monday through Friday at these locations:
• Ashley IB Magnet, 1647 Ashley School Circle
• Cash Elementary, 4700 Old Hollow Rd., Kernersville
• Cook Elementary, 920 11th St. NW
• Diggs-Latham Elementary, 986 Hutton Street
• East Forsyth Middle, 810 Bagley Drive, Kernersville
• Forest Park Elementary (opening 7/1/13), 2019 Milford St.
• Hall-Woodward Elementary, 125 Nicholson Rd.
• Hanes-Lowrance Middle, 2900 Indiana Ave.
• John F. Kennedy High, 890 E. 11th St.
• Kernersville Elementary, 512 W. Mountain St., Kernersville
• Kimberley Park Elementary, 1701 N. Cherry St.
• Konnoak Elementary, 3200 Renon Rd.
• Mineral Springs Elementary, 4527 Ogburn Ave.
• Mineral Springs Middle, 4559 Ogburn Ave.
• North Hills Elementary, 340 Alspaugh Drive
• Petree Elementary (opening 6/26/13), 3815 Old Greensboro Rd.
• Philo-Hill Magnet, 410 Haverhill St.
Gibson Elementary (2020 Walker Road, Winston-Salem) and Griffith Elementary (1385 W. Clemmonsville Road, Winston-Salem) will be serving lunch only.
A variety of foods will be available, including whole grain biscuits, healthy varieties of breakfast pizzas made with low-fat cheese and whole grains, spaghetti made with lean meat and whole grain pasta, fruits and vegetables and 100 percent fruit juice and low-fat milk selections.
Program sponsors say offering free summer breakfast and lunch is another step to ensure students are getting the quality nutrition they need, even if school isn’t in session. All students will be offered breakfast and lunch at no cost without any restrictions. Older students may be asked to verify their age with identification.
Any questions regarding locations or time schedules should be directed to WS/FCS’s Child Nutrition Department from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 336-771-4526.