Free mental health support available year-round
Those coping with mental health challenges do not have to suffer alone. The Mental Health Association in Forsyth County sponsors an array of client and family support groups that are designed to help share common experiences, exchange information, learn new information, develop appropriate coping skills and develop natural supports. All the support groups are free, confidential and led by trained facilitators.
The following groups are offered: (All are held at the Mental Health Association’s 1509 S. Hawthorne Rd. headquarters, unless otherwise noted.)
• Anxiety Disorders Support Group for adults with anxiety disorders such as panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, posttraumatic stress and generalized anxiety. Meetings are held the second and fourth Thursday at 7 p.m.
• Schizophrenia/Schizo-Affective Disorders Support Group for adults with schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder and other psychotic disorders. Meetings are held the second and fourth Thursday at 2:30 p.m.
• Speak Out! Support Group for teens ages 13-17 with any mental health issue, including depression, anxiety, ADD/ADHD. Meetings are held the first, third and fifth Monday of each month at 6 p.m.
• Thrive Support Group for young adults – ages 18 to under 30 – with any mental health issue. Meets every second and fourth Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. at the Mental Health Association. (Thrive no longer meets at the YMCA).
• Tides Mood Disorders Support Group for adults with any kind of mood disorder such as clinical depression or bi-polar disorder. The Friday 10:30 a.m. meetings are for anyone with a mood disorder or anyone with a mental health and/or substance abuse, addictive issue. Meetings on the first and third Tuesday at 7 p.m. are for adults with mood disorders.
• Triad Friends and Family for families who have loved ones with eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa. Meetings are held the second Monday at 7 p.m.
For more information, contact The Mental Health Association in Forsyth County at 336-768-3880 or go to www.triadmentalhealth.org.